Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Climb Every Mountain


"My most memorable experience as a college-age summer camp counselor (by far) was climbing Mount Elbert. The highest mountain in Colorado, it is an impressive 14,433 feet above sea level. Our leader, an adventure-loving trailblazer of a man, lived to hike mountains and this was not his first time up Elbert. We were in good hands. It took hours to walk through the forest at the mountain's base, but finally we passed the tree line and our hiking took on a more vertical slant. We had to be careful not to start a landslide as we climbed over loose, shale-like rock at a 45-degree angle, but we made it to the snow and up to the summit. Elbert is relatively easy to climb compared to many fourteeners, but the view from the top can't be beat. The only thing comparable is looking out of an airplane. Clouds floated by below us as we studied huge mountains at our feet. It was absolutely astounding to be on top of the world, but scary, too. Gravity seemed a little less strong up there, as if we needed to hang on to the boulders around us or we might just fall up into that deep blue sky.
My trip up Mt. Elbert was a life event that can't be understated, but all I did was show up. I walked hour after hour, followed directions, trusted I was safe, and never gave up until I was on the summit, a small patch of land no bigger than a porch deck. I'm doing the exact same thing with Nanowrimo - writing 1,667 words each day come hell or high water - and I'm beginning to believe this month will have the same impact."
I wrote this on November 17, 2008 for my memoir "One Hundred Times" and am posting it today because on this day, July 17, 2013, I've reached another summit of sorts. "Pity," my YA novel, (which was written during Nanowrimo) is ready, and my first query went to an agent. Barry Goldblatt, I hope you like it!
NOTE: For more information about Mt. Elbert go to: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-elbert/150325

2 comments:

  1. Please reserve me a copy of your novel!

    ReplyDelete